5G Explained – Summary and Key Points
What is 5G?
It’s the next generation of mobile transition standard and the successor to 4G / LTE
How does it work?
• Shorter mobile transmission frequency = more data can be carried.
• 5G will use millimetre wave technology – very compact radio waves.
• Mobile networks will use cloud infrastructure, virtualised network core and intelligent edge services and network slicing to accommodate all use case requirements.
What will be the result?
• Ultra low latency of around 5ms current 4G latency is an average of 55ms.
• Superfast data speed around 100x faster than 4G.
• Huge increase in capacity enabling 1000’s of users in the same area to conduct data sessions simultaneously.
• Extended and improved coverage using new technology including – beamforming which 5G can leverage, 4G cannot.
What difference will it make to your business?
• If you’re a late adopter your competitors may use 5G to gain a competitive edge.
• Drones will be enabled to start full commercial use.
• Driverless Cars will be enabled.
• Lease line buyers will be able to get a 1GB connection without laying expensive fibre cables. Homeworker /remote worker adoption will continue to increase.
• Virtual reality will become a reality as 4G held it back.
• IOT applications will increase substantially.
• Lawyers will be able to download complete library’s of case law in seconds.
• Surgeons will be able to conduct remote clinical operations.
• Broadcasters will be able to live stream events over mobile networks without needing fibre or a dedicated transmission medium.
O2 forecast that 5G could deliver time savings that could bring £6 billion a year in productivity savings in the UK, and that 5G-enabled tools and smart items could save UK householders £450 a year in food, council and fuel bills.
If you run a business you really need to understand the impact of 5G on your operation and market. It could enable you get ahead of your competitors or it could be used by your competitors to get ahead of you! Make sure you follow everything 5G this year and be ready to take full advantage.